"So many people live within unhappy circumstances and yet will not take the initiative to change their situation because they are conditioned to a life of security, conformity, and conservatism, all of which may appear to give one peace of mind, but in reality nothing is more damaging to the adventurous spirit within a man than a secure future. The very basic core of a man's living spirit is his passion for adventure. The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun."
-Christopher McCandless

Monday, June 21, 2010


SATURDAY JUNE 19, 2010

This was the day of the downtown summer solstice festival. I rode into town with Steph and Courtney (the people I'm living with) we walked around the outside market for a while. Then I roamed around, listened to music and looked at random things people we selling. I then headed into town where the festival was happening. I watched some of the skateboarding demo, watched some awesome dancing by the Alaskan Dance company. After that i ended up meeting up with this kid (Isaiah) I had longboarded with the week prior and we hung around together and met up with this other kid Chaz. So we just longboarded around for a while and chilled. Then we were listening to some of the bands. Met up with three more kids, one I had longboarded with before (David) and two of his friends. Then all of us just strolled around town, participating in random hackie sack games, listening to bands, and shaking trees to each other wet. Then we went to the concert, which was insanely awesome. There were so so so many people! Everyone was having an awesome time, people were crowd surfing, and some kids climbed trees to see the concert. There was barely any room to move at all. The concert ended and I was able to get a ride home with Courtney and her friend.


hip hop dancers

salsa dancing




that girl from the hills with my friend isiah

SO MANY PEOPLE





Bass player, he was crazy, but awesome!

Lead singer of Flyleaf Lacey Mosley

so many people crowd surfing


People watching the concert from a tree!



SUNDAY JUNE 21, 2010
Yesterday I had work! I replied to a post on saw on alaskaslist.com for a pony walker/petting zoo attendant...and got the job! It was pretty sweet, I got to chill with this pony named 'Flame' all day. Flame really liked to eat grass. It was actually very tiring though. I literally walked around nonstop in a 100 yard circle from 11.30AM until 3.30PM. I wonder how many miles I walked and how many little kids I lifted up onto that pony. haha. Where we were was beautiful though! It was at kincaid park on a beautiful day and the view of the ocean was magnificent! Then that night I went to this lake with this kid I met at the concert the day prior, it was so pretty!! Pictures below!

Eklutna Lake

These kayaks were unfortunately locked up, or else I would have gone for a free kayak ride!





MONDAY, JUNE 22, 2010
Today Matt and Allison invited me to go for a hike with them up by Palmer, AK. I don't remember the exact name of the place we went, but I do remember it was gorgeous. We hiked about twelve miles, six in and six back. As soon as we got to where we were going to turn around it started raining, but it actually wasn't that bad. There were a lot of intense beaver dams along the way. We saw a beaver on the way back and he was quite large. I actually got pretty close to him. We stopped for ice cream afterwards and its amazing how good food tastes after a twelve mile hike! haha. The ride there and back was beautiful as well. I am finding that there aren't too many ugly places in Alaska.



Matt & Allison

in a sweeeeeet chair!


The beautiful Lupine flower

Allison!






on the car ride back




Quote for today..........

The only thing you have to do in life is die.
So choose to live life, and not let life live you.
-saw this on the ceiling in a Hookah bar in Reading, PA

Oh and here are some pictures of some of my new roommates! haha


6 comments:

  1. hi kelly, you don't know me but i went to high school w/your mom, saw her posting on fb about your alaskan adventure, you sound awesome! what great pics and fun things you've done so far. i'm old and boring (lol) so i'll ck this again in a few days to live vicariously through you. my husband john and i got to travel for 6 mos. when we were first married, in a small pickup camper, towing my vw, and got to see most of our country and canada, your adventure reminds me of that. enjoy every minute, and its great you're recording this so you don't forget all the awesome people you met, things you saw, and places you ventured to. congrats on being such an adventurer! Cindy DeGroat Rich......Fredon Twp., NJ

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! What a great hike you went on. I am so jealous. As you know I love to hike and love AK. I may have to take next summer off work and go to AK. haha I'm glad you are having a good time. love ya Dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kelly,
    You are showing everyone some awesome scenery of AK through your lens. I'm so glad you are able to share your time with everyone.
    Your job of one day sounded interesting. I bet the kids loved you!
    The concert looked like it was a lot of fun too! Sure looked like a lot of people!
    Hugs, Margie D.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kelly, great photos, especially the authentic Alaska scenery! Wow. Also Rachel (daughter) is very jealous you got to see Flyleaf in person, she's a real fan. Enjoy your continued adventures and I look forward to reading them some more!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice shots, Kelly. Go ahead. I will also link your name to this blog. I love the cats, too. If you were to spend enough time on my blog, you will discover that I am a man who loves cats.

    It looks like you have been having lots of fun, all over the place.

    I'm glad to have met you, if only for a few brief moments.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Kelly,

    Great to read your blog and see the absolutely beautiful pix you are posting. What a terrific summer you are having! Keep posting, you have a bunch of fans here at home.

    Sue

    ReplyDelete