"So many people live within unhappy circumstances and yet will not take the initiative to change their situation because they are conditioned to a life of security, conformity, and conservatism, all of which may appear to give one peace of mind, but in reality nothing is more damaging to the adventurous spirit within a man than a secure future. The very basic core of a man's living spirit is his passion for adventure. The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun."
-Christopher McCandless

Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Found a dollar yesterday! Now I think it may have been foreshadowing for today.....haha

And today, I got a job! It is at Trapper Jack's Trading Post located right in town. I'm pretty pumped about it. My boss seems like she's cool and all the people I will be working with are my age. I start Monday and work M-F 3.00-11.30PM with a half hour lunch break. Woo Hoo!

I met this guy Bill on the hike I went on Monday with Matt & Allison. He took some pictures of us and posted them on his blog http://wasillaalaskaby300.squarespace.com/. He got some cool ones......thought I'd share




Tonight I leave for Seward, AK! I am catching a ride with this guy I met online. I know that sounds absolutely awful. But I promise it is not as bad as it seems. There is a social networking site for travelers called couchsurfing.org. It's kinda sorta like facebook, but really for travelers. The site allows you to connect with people all around the world and stay on their couch for free for a few nights. The guy I am going with is going down to Seward for a sailing class and posted on the Anchorage Group site to share a ride to Seward. He is a verified member, which means he went through the verification process with the organization, and has a lot of people vouching for him on his profile. I'll be safe. But check out the site if you wish, it's a really cool idea.
I made reservations for a hostel for tonight. Moby Dick Hostel, I'm pretty sure it's the only one in town. It looks sweet though! I plan to go to the Sea Life Center, which is supposed to be sweet! I also want to try and get on a fishing boat down there......don't know how I'm going to manage that one, but I will be down there for four days, so I'll get creative...... :)


3 comments:

  1. Congrats on getting a job. Since you will be working at a gift shop maybe you can get me a tee shirt that says "My daughter went to Alaska and all she brought back for me is this lousy tee shirt". ha ha

    Have fun in Seward. I hope you get out on a boat.

    love Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kelly,
    I found my here through the comments on Bill Hess blog (wassilaalaska300). I really love some of your photographs in your older posts. Good luck on your Alaskan adventure! I admire your young adventurous spirit! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kelly!

    After seeing Bill Hess's pictures and yours, I think you have the gift of being a photo journalist too. Congrats on getting a job for the summer!
    Love, Marge D.

    ReplyDelete