"So many people live within unhappy circumstances and yet will not take the initiative to change their situation because they are conditioned to a life of security, conformity, and conservatism, all of which may appear to give one peace of mind, but in reality nothing is more damaging to the adventurous spirit within a man than a secure future. The very basic core of a man's living spirit is his passion for adventure. The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun."
-Christopher McCandless

Friday, June 11, 2010

Downtown

Sleeping last night was kinda hard. This whole it always being light thing is really messed with me more than I thought it would! So I was up today around 8AM or so. Then Allison took me into town around 10.30ish. I walked around and applied for jobs at a lot a lot of places. I was really hoping I could get a job in a restaurant, but here you have to be 21 to serve alcohol. Which is odd to me, because in PA you only have to be 18. So that was awesome to find out after I filled out tons of applications applying for jobs in restaurants. Oh well. But met these guys Mickey and Harry. Mickey was half irish, half native. I don't know what Harry was. But they tried to sell me jewelry. haha. It was awesome jewelry, but I didn't buy any. But they were both really cool anyway. They were talking to me about all sorts of stuff. Mickey was telling me all these places to go look for work. He kept telling me to go work in Barrow, AK. I found out later that is pretty much the most northern part of Alaska, so I probably won't be going there. I walked so much today, my feet are rather sore. But while I was walking I liked trying to differentiate between the tourist and locals. It was kinda funny, because it wasn't that hard. I didn't take my longboard into town today because I didn't know what to expect and I wanted to get the lay of the land, but as soon I got into town I immediately regretted that decision. I was actually surprised to see that a lot of people longboard and skate around. Which is awesome.

During my last hour or so in town I went and sat at this park in the middle of everything. There was this guy with a seriously sick longboard, it had real big wheels and could carve so nice. I ended up talking with him and he was real cool. But the one thing I really noticed while sitting there was really don't bother anyone. I could see this in the tiniest situations. It's different than PA. For example I was sitting on a bench in the park and this group of kids walks over to another section of the park about 10 yards from me and they just start smoking weed. hahaha that would be like someone smoking at the dunkin donuts across from the high school! I thought it was hilarious. And in my whole time downtown today I only saw one cop. It's just funny how different things are. But it's awesome.

So now I think I'm going to head out to the greenbelt and go for a ride on my board. The greenbelt is this path through Anchorage that is completely paved and along a stream. So that should be pretty! Plus Matt and Allison said there is a good chance I could see moose!!

1 comment: