"So many people live within unhappy circumstances and yet will not take the initiative to change their situation because they are conditioned to a life of security, conformity, and conservatism, all of which may appear to give one peace of mind, but in reality nothing is more damaging to the adventurous spirit within a man than a secure future. The very basic core of a man's living spirit is his passion for adventure. The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun."
-Christopher McCandless

Monday, June 14, 2010




I woke up this morning feeling kinda of bummed out. I think it was because I have been up here for a few days and hadn't really had any luck finding a job or an apartment and I hadn't really made any friends. Which I know it was kinda fast for me to get bummed considering I had only been for about four days. But I kept reminding myself that the worst part of the storm comes before it gets clear. Or whatever that saying is. Allison ended up making me feel a lot better. Her and I met up with this girl, Alyssa, that she knows through a friend. Alyssa is 21 and actually up here doing pretty much the same thing as me. So I was very excited to see her, thinking we would have a lot in common. We met her at this awesome cafe where I got a stellar veggie burger. Then we went into this shop next door which was really cool. The premise of the store was to sell stuff made by people all around the world and paying them what they deserve for it. Some really unique stuff was in there. Then we went to this persons house to pick up a dog that Allison walks and we were gonna take it on a hike. This house was so nice! It was on the side of the mountains and overlooked everything. There was this sweet deck that was probably the size of a three bay garage! And most of the "walls" were windows. It was just spectacular. So then we went on the walk and took 'coffee bean' (the dog) with us. The beginning of the hike was just alright, but once we really got up higher it was just amazing. pictures really don't do a justice. I was blown away from the beauty of it. Allison said I'm easy to please because she said that what we saw was nothing compared to what the usually see. It was also insanely windy and kinda rainy, but I loved every second of it. Its made me remember why I came and how happy I am that I did. Oh and I thinkkkkkk I may have just found an apartment!!!!!!!! :) :) :) The girl that I am meeting with tomorrow is almost exactly my age. I am only one week older than her! Funny how things happen like that. I hope things go well with her and I get the place!!!!

Anywho, here's some pictures from today!


Downtown Anchorage from afar




Alyssa, Allison and me


Alyssa and Allison in the distance

Lilacs? Pretty though.




Coffee Bean in action!



:)






Quote I just read and thought I'd share....

"You can preach a better sermon with your life than with your lips."
-Oliver Goldsmith

5 comments:

  1. What a great journal entry. Sounds like you had a wonderful, productive day. Anxious to hear about the apartment status. Those beautiful flowers are lupine. Remember the story of Miss Rumphius? These flowers are so prolific, they grow in the wild in places like Maine, Washington, Alaska. But in PA you're lucky if you can grow any type of hybrid of this species. It was great to see a photo of them. Great name for a dog, CoffeeBean, Love it! Also, the store you visited, I believe, would be considered a free-trade shop. We were in one when we were in Canada. Many of them purchase the products from the craftspeople, typically from third world countries, and then sell the products at a fair market value, allowing for a reasonable profit for the artist. That basket we have with the keys in it is from that shop in Canada. It was the first purchase for the 'bowl museum.' Hope you have a great day today. xo Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kelly: Sounds like you had a great day. Things seem to be falling into place for you. Happy Day!!! The hike you went on look awesome. I'm sure the dog had a good time. Corri is jealous. I am anxious to hear more about the apartment. Good luck finding a job. It will happen. Did you try a temp agency? Keep the posts coming. They are enjoyable. <3 Dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kelly,

    Surprised to hear this morning from your dad that you are in Alaska. He was kind enough to share your blog with me. I will pass along to Susie, Kyle and Lauren so they can see what you are up to. Seems as thought things are going pretty good for you so far. Good luck and enjoy life to the fullest.

    Uncle Scott

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kelly, blown away by the fact that "our little Kelly Stunk" has struck out on her own to ALASKA no less! I am so into it-keep me posted! I loved the opening quote of your blog-very insightful. You have gone ahead and done something that very few people have the balls to do-under no circumstances are you to get bummed- things happen the way they are meant to- we don't always understand or like the outcome. That is just tough, we just have to learn from the whole ordeal and we will come out just fine!! Keep it up and if nothing else, look at this wonderful experience of learning and living life! You are awesome!! Susie

    ReplyDelete
  5. p.s. Kelly, if you need someone to cry to don't call, but if you need someone to talk to, look me up! Good luck in your most excellent adventure! Susie

    ReplyDelete